The Bird under construction
Getting ready for the Fuel System Part 3
This will use a pusher type electric fuel pump, so the inlet of the fuel pump must be below the
discharge of the tank. Since electric fuel pumps can be easyly damaged by dirt, a fuel filter
is installed before the pump. The fyel supply line will go up over the rear suspension, then along
the right side, then up inside the right front shock tower, and terminate at a bulkhead fitting on
the front of the shock tower. The return will go from the rear of the shock tower, and along side
of the supply to near the rear, where it will come up through the flat area in front of the fuel cell.
It will use a bulkhead fitting here also.
There is a slight drop from the cell sump area to the fuel filter, and also from the fuel filter
to the fuel pump. This will make sure a good supply of fuel is at the pumps inlet at all times.
Pump was OK before installing the supercharger.
Fuel System Upgraded #2
I installed a Mallory Comp 250 pump so the fuel
keeps up with the demands of the 393 with the
new YSi. It is rated at 250 Gals Per Hour, and
will pump over 20 psi when needed
Worked OK in 1/8th mile, but running out of
fuel in 3rd gear at 15 psi of boost. (see below)
Fuel System Upgraded #3
Holley 12-1800 - Holley Dominator In-Line Billet Fuel Pumps Details
Dominator In-Line Billet Fuel Pump
190GPH 2100HP Naturally Aspirated / 1600HP Forced Induction
These pumps do not have an internal bypass. A bypass style
regulator and return line are required. NOT FOR USE WITH
METHANOL! Will work with E-85!
* Billet aluminum construction for durability and good looks
* -10 AN O-ring inlet/outlet for high flow and superior sealing
* Excellent for use with carbureted or EFI applications
* Fully submersible in-tank for custom applications, space savings
and less plumbing
* Compatible with 12v to 18.5v systems for street or race use
* Compact (7.5" Long x 5" Wide x 2.5" Tall) for easy installation
on frame rails or other tight areas
* Twin pump design allows the use of both pumps simultaneously
* - second pump can be activated on demand for power adders such
as nitrous or boost
* Patent pending dual pump technology
* Proven durability beyond 3,000 hours in gasoline or diesel fuels
* Weighs only 5.1 lbs.
* Current draw at 43 PSI and 13.5 VDC is 17.2 Amps